I was brought up in rural Ireland and by the age of seventeen was very familar with Catholic teaching, as by that age I had attended four of their schools. In later life, I found out by doing searches on the Bible using online resorces that most of the Catholic Church's teachings contradict Scripture. I list as follows the main incorrect teachings that I found against which you can assess if the particular church you belong to has strictly adhered to Scripture.
1. Man has an immortal soul. Nowhere in the Bible are the words " innortal soul " found. If God had given man such an attribute, He would have pointed it out in the Bible as it is impossible to work it out independently of man's maufacturer. Genesis 2:7 says of the creation of Adam : "God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul". Therefore a soul is something you are, not something you have. The Bible also uses the Hebrew word translated as " soul " in relation to the creation of animals. A definition of "soul" as it is used in the Bible is : " a living creature ". The belief that man had an immortal soul was first asserted by the anchient Egyptians who were pagans. The anchient Greeks also believed it, and the Greek philosophers Socrates and Plato publisized the belief widely. The people who framed Christianity in the centuries after the Apostles died did so incorrectly, by taking heed of what Plato said about the soul rather than the Bible.
2. The Doctrine of the trinity. The word " trinity" is found nowhere in the Bible. Mainstream
Christianity teaches that there is an equal trio of God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ. First of all, there aren't three seperate entities involved; the Holy Spirit as taught in the Bible is an integral part of God; the part of God that he uses to enfore his will. The following passage demonstrates this: " Now that we have received not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God, that we might understand the gifts bestowed on us by God " (1. Cor.2.12). The Bible makes iit plain in several Bible verses that Jesus Christ is inferior to God, thereby further undermining the doctrine of an equal trinity. Jesus Christ went out of his way to point out in several Bible verses that he was subordinate to God. The following quotation from Paul also seperates God from Jesus Christ in one verse : " For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Jesus Christ " (1. Tim.2.5).
3. The wicked are punished in hell. As I demonstrated in point 1 above man does not have an immortal soul, therefore there is no chance that the wicked commence their punishement immediately after death. The Bible teaches that the dead have no recollection of anything whilst they are in the grave. The Bible sometimes likens death at the end of this life to " sleeping ". This is a good comparison because those who are now " sleeping " will be resurrected at a future date to judgement by Christ; and if they don't measure up they are destroyed - they die a second time in the "lake o# fire ". The most appropriate quotation to demonstrate this point is John 3.16 : " For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life ".
4. The saved go to heaven. The points made by me in 3 about the soul and the state of the dead are also applicable here. The Bible teaches that heaven is simply the abode of God. It further teaches that the only person ever to go to heaven was Jesus Christ, who went there at the invitation of God. A judgement immediately after death is not mentioned in the Bible; instead it says the dead are resurrected and judged by Christ when he returns to the earth. The reward for measuing up in the judgement is eternal life on a reconstituted earth. The followiing Bible verse is the most appropriate here: " Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth " ( Mat. 5:5).
5. Mary and the saints should be worshipped. The Bible gives Mary due credit for what she did in bringing about Jesus Christ, but it doesn't say anywhere that she should be worshipped or glorified; it states worship should be confined to God alone. Paul says in the Bible in 1. Corinthians 10.31 : " So whatever you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God ". The Mary worship that has built up over the years in the Roman Church is therefore false Similarily, people who have done good things in life should not be cannonised and placed in heaven inspiring prayer and worship to them. Instead, the Holy Book states that anyone who has done good deeds in this life and has died will be rewarded in the judgement after the resurrection of the dead at a future date.
6. God has no plan for the earth. Mainstream Christianity by falsely putting people after death in heaven or hell never get to God's plan for the planet, as outlined in the wrap-up book of the Bible, Revelation. In The Kingdom of God to come on earth saved human beings will be given a new body and will help Jesus Christ reign for a thousand years in a kingdom consisting of an earthly paradise brought about by a reformed earth. At the end of Christ's preparatory work, God will vacate his current abode in heaven and live upon the earh in complete harmony with His people.
The above demonstrates that most of the Christian world have been misled by various churches as to the true message of the Bible, because the deliverers have deviated from Scripture in order to satisfy there own selfish ends.